View RSS Feed

Dani Oliver

The niqab - why are we really against it?

Rate this Entry

I read an article the other day about "The weak and uninspiring case against the niqab" and felt compelled to say a word or two on the subject. While I can safely claim that I know a great deal more about the niqab than I did say a decade ago, I don't profess to know as much as I'd like, and I'm certainly not in a position to speak on behalf of any of my niqab-wearing sisters, except to say "it's her choice".

Others might claim these women don't have a choice, but that statement in and of itself is stereotypically-vague and presumptive. But for the sake of argument, let's assume my own particular comments are in reference to those women who choose, without coercion of any kind, to wear the occidentally-controversial niqab.

This is what I had to say on Facebook recently...

I'm against any form of oppression, and in this case it leans more towards the intolerance of religious freedom. Sure, the argument can be made that the niqab is more applicable to culture than it is to religion; but in the spirit of slightly off-the-mark analogies as referenced in this article, let's look at our own mounting indignation at the claim that we're being told to say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

Personally I've never had anyone tell me what I can't and can say, but maybe that's just my perspective and the fact that I don't jump to conclusions when people try to introduce new ideas of tolerance and respect to me.

"Merry Christmas" is part of my cultural background. Never in my life has it ever been uttered as a religious reference. But I'm sure that if I celebrated Christmas in some parts of the middle east it would be considered a religious thing.

So in my thinking... if a person considers any part of their garb to be a religious symbol, who are we to say it isn't? Why do we really care so much? Are we falling back on the issue of national security because we believe that that is the main reason we are against the wearing of the niqab when requesting national citizenship?

Or do we hide behind this reason to disguise a more nefarious motive: religious intolerance? And I'm not just referring to one religion trying to suppress another, I'm talking about people who would abolish any kind of religious expression altogether. Because that's where we're headed folks.

But let's say our main concern with the niqab-wearing applicant is that they are not easily identified during the citizenship process. Quite frankly, there are other means of identification that can be used to accommodate the wearing of the niqab during the citizenship ceremony. And I'm sure their implementation would be much cheaper than spending millions of dollars debating this issue.

I also agree with the [opinion] that this isn't something that can be decided upon by a majority vote. Tell me this... if the majority of Canadians voted that you shouldn't be allowed to say "Merry Christmas" any more, would that stop you? (Assuming, of course, this is applicable to you... if not, please insert a more relevant example here).

As a nation, are we able to put the religious/cultural references and ramifications aside when considering this matter? Because let's face it, a lot of this hue and cry is coming from people who condemn the wearing of the niqab for reasons that have no business in the decision-making policies of our government.

Regardless, in these precarious times when national security has become of grave concern, are we able as a nation to work together to find a viable solution? If we view this without malice or bias, how much do we believe that individual identification and accountability are paramount to achieving a successfully-integrated and tolerant society? Do we trust each other more if we can see one another's face?

Another argument could be presented that people are expected to remove their eyewear when having photo ID taken, and that hoodies are being systematically banned from public places. Even sunglasses and hats have been prohibited in certain institutions. And if we allow all this, then what obligation do we have to make an exception for others applying for these same rights and freedoms?

So after all that blathering, where do I stand on this issue? Uncertain. Except to say that I don't think it's up to us to judge whether or not the niqab is a symbol of oppression or a religious symbol. I do, however, think that we have a right to consider the potential risk it has to our national security.

Where do you stand in this regard?

I respect and value all opinions as long as they are made in a factual and respectful manner. Hate or hate-mongering will not be tolerated.

The image used in this blog was created by inesssa on deviantart, to which she adds:
Occidental society has faced some difficulties
to accept the existence of islamic clothing.
So they ban it.
But with a creation of law, they create the crime.
Why should a covered up body be a crime?

Submit "The niqab - why are we really against it?" to Facebook Submit "The niqab - why are we really against it?" to Digg Submit "The niqab - why are we really against it?" to del.icio.us Submit "The niqab - why are we really against it?" to StumbleUpon Submit "The niqab - why are we really against it?" to Google

Comments

For me it would come down to more of a I don't have a problem with it being worn if it is their choosing to wear it. If you were to look at me and say I have to wear (insert what ever you like) or I will be punished I start having a problem with it. Granted this here opens up a whole different barrel of worms as what should be the exact amount of clothing that one needs to wear to be considered acceptable in public. For the sake of equalizing things here and say that regardless if you are male or female you have to wear at least shorts to be legally dress in public. Since it would cover that part of the law I would have no problem with them wearing it if they choose since it is not breaking the over all "dress code" part of the law if they are doing it by their own free will. Granted on the other side of the coin I will say that if you choose to wear it don't throw a fit and complain when it come to government officials telling you you need to remove it for things like getting you picture taken for official documents, IE drivers license/state ID, passport, or student ID. Also on the same token don't complain when asked by police or other officials to remove coverings to verify that you are who your idea says you are. Granted I have no problem with giving you the right to ask for a female officer to be the one to do the verifying if it make you more comfortable if there is one available, but at the same time you also will go about making it seem more difficult for you as you will appear to being difficult.

So to make a long idea short. If someone wants to do something and it is not disruptive to the public at large or harmful to another human being what is the problem with them doing it. If some one from a different faith from yours does something that goes against what you believe don't try to force them to change what they are doing unless it is harmful to you, because when it comes down to it your faith is what you believe in and no one knows who is right and wrong till we are all dead and gone.