Over the past year there's been a lot of discussion in Ark-related media about clientside video(game) optimization. This post isn't about that.

It's about how to immerse yourself as best possible while trying to find a symbiotic balance between budget, quality and performance.

For some tweakers it's a no-brainer. We can't afford both so we typically have to sacrifice one for the other. But which way to go... graphics or performance? Decisions decisions.

The Options below are what work best for me and Oz (until new data and/or further experimentation take place. *whistles*).

These may not be the best tweaks out there but they're quick and easy and don't involve changing any .ini files (but we have that too if you're interested/want to discuss.) These are based on our mid-end GTX 660's.

Name:  options1_576x961_6916.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  373.1 KB

In short, if you're using a low/mid-end card and just want decent graphics and speed, this might help. Or it could blow your shit up. Who knows. I take no responsibility (see what I did there? )

If these don't work for you, try mucking around with them to best suit your own particular specs. The base settings appear sufficiently tweakable for the average player. It'd be handy though if they used tooltips to describe what each option changes.

Just remember: any time you mess around with your settings you have the potential of making things worse. And since one of my favorite sayings is "it was working fine, so I fixed it (duggyism)" ... I wouldn't listen to a word I say.