View RSS Feed

Dani Oliver

Have you tried turning it off and on?

Rate this Entry

Ozzy went out fishing for the better part of yesterday, which meant I had some quiet time to myself to... oh I dunno... write, read, turn up the music and dance around the apartment like a mad woman... no wait, I already do that.

But whatever cruel disciple of time I had watching over me yesterday, decided that it would be better for me to occupy myself otherwise. Instead, I was plagued with an inability to connect to the internet on my main system... where all my half-written blogs, articles, book-chapters, sloppy poetry, etc. reside.

Now before all you computer geeks out there work yourselves up into a frenzy of technosis, I had it under control. Or so I thought. I went through the drill of basic diagnostics including, yes, "turning it off and on", checking windows logs, yadda, yadda. I won't bore you with the technical details of the issue nor the steps I took to resolve it, because it has indeed been resolved... at the very end of the day, of course, shortly after Ozzy got home.

Now, anyone who's looking for a smacked bottom can feel free to ask me at this point if Ozzy fixed it for me. (You'd be surprised how often this assumption is made) The answer is "no". And sort of "yes".

The only thing I hadn't tried -- because it would've required me turning off systems that were currently in use, with processes I wouldn't be able to effectively reset until Ozzy got home -- was to flush the router. We'd already flushed it that morning as part of what's known around here as "Maintenance Wednesday" (L2) which coincidentally coincided with "Crash Wednesday" which generally follows Microsoft's "Patch Tuesday". Following me so far?

So yeah... nothing else worked and I was fixin' to flush the router when Ozzy arrived home. It's hella easier for him to do it with his long monkey arms and all... so he graciously attended to this last step on my behalf. And, of course, ffs... my connection to the internet was restored.

So yeah... it WAS a matter of "turning it off and on". *bangs head on desk*

Submit "Have you tried turning it off and on?" to Facebook Submit "Have you tried turning it off and on?" to Digg Submit "Have you tried turning it off and on?" to del.icio.us Submit "Have you tried turning it off and on?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Have you tried turning it off and on?" to Google

Comments