This article mainly refers to Lineage II but with a few name changes could just as well apply to WoW or any other MMORPGs that have historically experienced issues with AV programs deleting essential game files.

During one of last week's updates, NOD32 took it upon itself to once again remove my L2.exe file. Even though I had listed it in my Exceptions, it still saw the Thermida file as a threat and removed it. After I re-added L2.exe to the Exceptions list, everything was working fine.

Today AVG had another update, and sure enough, it too viewed L2.exe as a threat (Trojan horse Generic_c ANGU) and moved it to the Virus Vault.

Another player using Norton had difficulties logging into the game today... and coincidentally, Norton just put out an update for their virus definitions.

Suffice it to say, AV proggies generally hate Lineage II. Don't panic. If you're using one of the programs listed above, here's what to do (some instructions may differ depending on the version you're using):

NOD32

• Open the program
  • Click on Setup (top menu bar to the right)
  • Click on Advanced Settings
  • On the left-hand side, click on Exclusions (under "Web access protection")
  • Even if you see the L2.exe file in that list, add it again*
  • Press Apply and/or OK
  • Try logging onto the server

*I generally don't have to delete it then re-add it; I just re-add it and it works like a charm

AVG Anti-Virus Free

• Open the program
  • Go to Tools (from the top menu bar)
  • Select Advanced Settings
  • On the left-hand side, click on Exceptions (listed under "Resident Shield")
  • If you've already added the path before, you will see it there with a checkmark; but you will still need to add the path again
  • Press Apply and/or OK
  • Hopefully you have a handy-dandy copy of the L2.exe file backed up somewhere; if you do, copy it into the Lineage II\system\ folder
  • Try logging onto the server

Norton AntiVirus

• Open the program
  • Click on Settings
  • Click on Configure (under "Exclusions/Low Risks")
  • Click Add, then navigate to the Lineage II\system folder
  • Click Apply and/or OK

Word of Advice: Ignore people who tell you to uninstall all of your AV proggies just to get Lineage II to work. They don't know what they're talking about. It's a pain in the butt at times, but there's always a work around and you need to have at least one good AV on your computer for protection. Just be sure you are using the latest version and keep it up to date.