Something I would recommend that everyone does at least once a month if not once a week is to flush your router and modem.

To do so is very simple. Some business class modems are done differently but for the most part the residential modems are done this way:

For cable style internet:
Step 1: Turn off your PC/s.
Step 2: Unplug the power cable to your modem first and all other cables.
Step 3: Unplug the power to any routers/switches you might also have set up.
Step 4: Let them sit for 30 seconds (30 seconds is how long it takes for the distributors to drain their backup power). I personally like to let them sit for 5 minutes to cool down nicely as well.
Step 5: Plug all cables back into the modem making sure the power cord is the last one.
Step 6: Wait for all the lights to come back on on your modem with the exception of PC activity.
Step 7: Plug in the power back to your router.
Step 8: Turn your PC/s back on.

These simple steps can help increase your performance to connecting to the internet for your web browsing to downloading to your games.

This image is a speed test I took after doing the above steps. My normal download speed was about 20mb. Now look.

Tested with www.speedtest.net

That was the same speed for 5 tested and the location was less than 50 miles away. Still a 5 mb just between the before and after still not bad.