Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTF??? Wearable What??

Blog Entries

Default WTF??? Wearable What??

Ok this a little much come on people how is this a viable pratical means of transpotation????

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2008-08/wearable-motorcycle
    A Wearable Motorcycle

Jake Loniak is a college junior, he's also the inventor of one of the most innovative concept vehicles we've seen in ages. Inside: the electric exoskeleton motorcycle and an exclusive video of the beast in action
    By Annemarie Conte and Esther Haynes Posted 08.18.2008 at 12:00 pm
    The transportation program at the Art Center College of Design has produced legendary car designers, including BMW chief of design Chris Bangle and Henrik Fisker, the creator of the Fisker Karma electric supercar. But this year, after professor Bumsuk Lim’s inaugural motorcycle-design class, the buzz is all about bikes, especially Jake Loniak’s exoskeleton motorcycle concept Deus Ex Machina. At Ease: Once the bike is parked, the rider can strap it on like a suit. Photo by Nick Kaloterakis; design © Jake Loniak at Art Center College of Design; no reproduction or redistribution without prior written consent

Actually, to call Deus a “motorcycle” is a bit of a stretch. It would stand vertically when parked, so that the rider can step in and strap the bike on like a full-body suit. A computer would interpret the rider’s body movements, translate those into directional commands for the motorcycle, and steer the bike using 36 pneumatic muscles (artificial muscles made by the German company Festo that inflate or deflate to change the direction). “It’s like riding two skateboards at once, but stable, because the machine supports the rider’s body,” Loniak explains. These two skateboards, however, would be powered by lithium-ion batteries and ultracapacitors and capable of hitting 75 mph. “I never envisioned this as a commuter,” he says. “This is a sport bike.” WHAT’S NEXT

Deus exists only in a few deceptively realistic computer illustrations, but Loniak is confident that it can be built. “I believe a working prototype could be made, but it would take a great deal of time and engineering,” he says. The basic technology already exists; the Watertown, Massachusetts, start-up A123 is already selling the lithium-ion batteries Loniak wants to use, and a number of companies are developing ultracapacitors for electric cars and hybrids. “This isn’t fantasy,” he says. “It’s a green vehicle, and all of the numbers are based in the real world.”

Skele-Cycle: Thirty-six pneumatic muscles control this wearable motorcycle, taking commands from the rider’s body movements. Photo by Nick Kaloterakis; design © Jake Loniak at Art Center College of Design; no reproduction or redistribution without prior written consent

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291

Blog Entries

Default Re: WTF??? Wearable What??

A computer would interpret the rider’s body movements, translate those into directional commands for the motorcycle, and steer the bike using 36 pneumatic muscles
    I imagine a sneeze could be deadly while driving.

It's been a few years now... I wonder where this design ended up? I haven't seen it on anyone's Christmas wish lists over the years.

if a sneeze is deadly what would a fart do to ya

Blog Entries

Ok that was bad... good, but bad.

turbo power lol

Blog Entries

I call it "fueling up the jet engines"

0-150 in 1 fart
    WARNING DO NOT EAT BEANS 2 DAYS BEFORE DRIVING

Is it just me or does this resemble Dr Octopus from Spiderman?
    I wonder if the inhibitor chip gets damaged the machine will control the body just like the movie lmfao!

Blog Entries

Lol good point.. hehehe

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291

Blog Entries

I'm so late looking at this stuff.....
    What happens if you have to pee while on a long road trip with this thing? Do you just whip it out and go flying down the road...or just drive it into the gas station rest stop? Just thinking from uncomfortable experience.