Thread: Rita Macneil Past away last night!

Blog Entries

Default Rita Macneil Past away last night!

Rita MacNeil, Cape Breton's first lady of song, dies at 68

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.ritamacneil.com/page/page/6890676.htm

1944-2013
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    Sydney, NS (April 17, 2013) It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Cape Breton’s first lady of song, Rita MacNeil. Rita died last evening (April 16th) from complications following surgery, at the age of 68.

A gentle soul with a heart of gold and the voice of an angel, Rita’s music spoke of her love of home and family, the courage to rise above life’s challenges and the hardworking men and women that tie this country together. “Working Man”, “Flying on Your Own”, Reason to Believe”, “I’ll Accept The Rose Tonight” and “Home I’ll Be”, are just a few of the songs that endeared Rita to fans in Canada, the U.K and Australia.

Born in Big Pond, Cape Breton on May 28th, 1944 to Neil and Catherine (Rene) MacNeil, Rita was one of eight children. It wasn’t an easy life, as depicted in her autobiography “On A Personal Note”(released in 1998), but with determination and a passion for writing songs and singing, Rita pushed beyond a profound shyness and found her way to a stage at Expo 86 in Vancouver. It was here that the world discovered Rita MacNeil.

In 1987 she won her first Juno Award for Most Promising Female Vocalist. She was 42. “Flying on Your Own” followed in 1987 and in 1989, her Juno performance with Cape Breton’s Men of the Deeps of “Working Man”, brought the house down.

Over the course of her career, Rita recorded more than 24 albums which sold in the millions. She won 3 Juno’s, as well as numerous East Coast Music Awards, Country Music Awards, and a Gemini for her CBC variety show 'Rita & Friends' that ran from 1994 to 1997. She was a Member of the Order of Canada, was awarded the Order of Nova Scotia and is the recipient of five honorary doctorates. In 1986 she opened up Rita’s Tea Room in her hometown of Big Pond, which in the past few years enjoyed frequent visits from Rita herself.

Rita’s quick wit and sly sense of humour was a hallmark of her live shows and was in evidence when she was featured in an episode of the Trailer Park Boys.

A mother to Laura (Dana) and Wade (Lori), a grandmother, a dear friend, and a sister, Rita was a Canadian icon – a woman who had a dream that became a reality - who brought joy and inspiration to so many.

And you never let the hard times
    Take away your soul
    And you stopped the tears from falling
    As you watched the young ones go
    You’re as peaceful as a clear day
    You’re as rugged as the seas
    I caress you, oh, Cape Breton, in my dreams
    Home I’ll Be – Rita MacNeil

“Music is timeless and ageless,” noted the legendary singer, “the passion I feel for what I do can’t be put aside with a number and a year. It is a big part of my life – the concerts, the touring, the letters and the joy the audience gives back to me when the music touches a chord with them.” Rita MacNeil

Name:  candle2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  28.8 KBName:  Rita Macneil.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  84.1 KBName:  candle2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  28.8 KB
    This gale is a home area favorite. She is from Nova Scotia my stomping ground of a Provence in Canada. Rita will be sadly missed!

Working Man sung by Rita MacNeil

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/04/17/rita-macneil-obit.html

Acclaimed Cape Breton singer Rita MacNeil has died at age 68.
    A notice on her website states MacNeil died on April 16 following complications from surgery.
    Born in Big Pond, N.S., on Cape Breton Island, MacNeil was one of eight children.
    She moved to Toronto at age 17, where she wrote her first song and began singing in folk clubs. MacNeil later moved to Ottawa, where she recorded three albums, but eventually returned to Big Pond, where she formed a trio.

• Sign the online book of condolences

MacNeil was famously shy, but said her parents helped her overcome that trait by constantly reminding her to believe in herself.
    "You can be shy," she said. "You can work through all kinds of struggle. But somewhere deep down, you have to have belief or nothing's going to happen."
    Turning point

Cape Breton's first lady of song made her mark during a six-week run at Expo '86 in Vancouver. At the time, MacNeil was well-known in her home province but a newcomer to the national stage.
    "Word of mouth kind of grew," said Rod Mickleburgh of the Globe and Mail. He said review after review praised her performance, and that summer sparked a love affair between MacNeil and Vancouver.
    He finally saw her on Canada Day, 1986, when she performed Working Man with Men of the Deeps.

• Watch: Rita MacNeil sings Working Man

"There probably wasn't a dry eye in the house," he said. "I mean, it just moved me to tears. I never heard a song quite like it."
    'Rita really was a star'

MacNeil's voice brought people to tears across the country. Her first manager, Brookes Diamond, choked up as he spoke Wednesday about the first time he heard her perform. He was with his brother at the time.
    "It was quite a picture, we were in a field at a folk festival," he said. "This voice came through the rain, mist, and we both stopped. We were riding on a dirt bike and the two of us were in tears."

1 of 11

In 1987 she earned a Juno award as most promising female artist, at age 42.
    "Rita really was a star," Diamond said. "I think her humility and her wisdom were the two outstanding characteristics that I always appreciated."
    MacNeil recorded 24 albums and sold millions of records over the course of her career.
    She hosted a CBC-TV variety program, Rita and Friends, which ran from 1994 to 1997 and drew regular audiences of one million viewers. MacNeil's Christmas variety shows drew loyal viewers.
    MacNeil was a member of the Order of Canada and the recipient of five honorary doctorates. In 1986, she opened Rita’s Tea Room in her hometown of Big Pond, where she also gave performances.

For More go here: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...neil-obit.html
    Some more Rita Songs,

Rita MacNeil: Flying on Your Own

Rita MacNeil: Shes Called Nova Scotia

Rita MacNeil: I'll Accept The Rose

Rita MacNeil: Shes Called Nova Scotia & Farwell to Nova Scotia

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rita Macneil Past away last night!

Rita MacNeil SNOWBIRD Vancouver Symphony Orchestra LIVE

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291