Thread: To SLI or Not?

Blog Entries

Default To SLI or Not?

First off for those unfamlier withthe term SLI.

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalable_Link_Interface
    Scalable Link Interface (SLI) is a brand name for a multi-GPU solution developed by Nvidia for linking two or more video cards together to produce a single output. SLI is an application of parallel processing for computer graphics, meant to increase the processing power available for graphics.
    The name SLI was first used by 3dfx under the full name Scan-Line Interleave, which was introduced to the consumer market in 1998 and used in the Voodoo2 line of video cards. After buying out 3dfx, Nvidia acquired the technology but did not use it. Nvidia later reintroduced the SLI name in 2004 and intends for it to be used in modern computer systems based on the PCI Express (PCIe) bus. However, the technology behind the name SLI has changed dramatically.

There is Many views on this where you should SLI or not.
    Now i am Running a GeForce 9800 gtx+ and i do not SLI and i find the performance of this card is amazing . I can run CoD4 in 1680x1050 res and max the graphic out and have th e game run flawlessly.. I have heard other say they do th e same with SLI and other do the same with Single cards.

Is it worth SLI's now??

the only thing i can real see a use for SLIing is when you are playing games where you are goingot want to run multipale copy of the game such as WoW and Lineage2 and other MMORPG's game where you wil want to duel box!

So is running 2 video card in SLI worht it to the common gamer or just over kill?
    Personaly i love the idea of have more POWER *instert Tim the tool man Takyor GRUNT* the more power the better.

What is the total advangatage of SLIing when most games of today can run fine IF you get a good vid card?

Is it Braggin rights? which i see nothign wrong witht that eather. "My PC is better than yours" make the gameing world More competive and alows for people to push the limits withtere PC's for that egde in most games the idea of haveign a team of player with "kick ASS" systems and better performance (this dosn't make up for lake of skils in game) but if someone can play the game with less LAG smoother running games and better picture, it should give that team an advantage of sorts.

Anyone that any views or imput on this PLZ feel free to add to this thread. the more info th e better and how knows maybe someone might look here an d make there choice "To SLI or NOT?"

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291

quite a unique question....the answer lies in how fast can your bandwidth go...truly with SLI it is very possible that you will now exceed what you're tasking in which would mean what....no noticable change from great single card to supreme SLI...not to mention i've heard that you could have a cooling issue<unless ya lives in the Great White North..hehehe>...imo....all hype unless you're a high tech digital image inhancing technofile.. I still think processors and ram are your highest assests for power<grunt>

Blog Entries

I agree "ram and CPU" and for the raw computing power but with a good vid-card you can less the blow on those by having the vid-card doing more of the work.

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291