Thread: Adobe Reader No Longer Supports Vista

Blog Entries

Default Adobe Reader No Longer Supports Vista

If you're using Vista and you're having trouble updating Adobe Reader, it's because Adobe no longer supports Vista. What's amusing, is that it still supports XP (which Windows will no longer support after 4/8/14). Boffo!

So what you need to do is trick the downloader into thinking you're using either XP or Windows 7. On the computer in question, I'm using Vista 32-bit, but I lied and said I'm using Windows 7. I feel so sinful. But this little bit of trickery seems to be the only solution for my current ODC loop when I keep getting the message "Adobe Acrobat is known to be vulnerable and should be updated" in Firefox under Plugins.

Don't even bother clicking on "Update Now" if you're using Vista. It will only taunt you by taking you to a page that outlines why "Adobe Reader 9.5.1 and lower has been blocked for your protection." Which is kind of silly, since I'm currently running 10.1.4.38. I was running 10.1.8, but after the updates kept failing, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, only to find that the latest update I could get was the aforementioned 10.1.4.38. Oh bother!

So here's what you do...

1. Click on this link: http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/
    2. Under "Step 1" lie through your teeth and tell it you're using Windows 7
    3. Select your language under "Step 2"
    4. Under "Step 3" choose "Reader 11.0.04 English for Windows"
    5. Click on the "Download Now" button
    6. Click on the "Save File" button
    7. If you're using Firefox, after the download completes, click on the Green Arrow at the top right-hand side of your browser (to the far right of your address bar). If you click on the file from there, it will open up a dialogue box which asks "Do you want to run this file?" Go ahead and click "Run".
    You may have to temporarily disable your antivirus software. If you don't know how to do that, just ask. Don't forget to mention which AV you're using. I'm not a mind reader.

When it asks how you want to keep updated, I chose "Notify me, but let me choose when to download and install updates". I do this because in the past I've sometimes found out too late that the latest version of Adobe Reader messed my stuff up. I like to do a little research first before I download and install the latest updates. But this is a personal preference. Select whichever option you're comfortable with.

From there, the installation should run smoothly (said with tongue in cheek). Let's face it, Adobe installations are not known for their flawless executions. So getting back to reality, you might receive the error message: "Warning 1910.Could not remove shortcut Adobe Reader X.lnk. Verify that the shortcut file exists and that you can access it". I just click "OK", then after the installation is complete, I run CCleaner and badda boom Bob's yer uncle.

If all goes according to plan, you should see: "Setup Completed. Setup has successfully installed Adobe Reader XI (11.0.04). Click Finish to exit setup."

Lastly, just to be on the safe side, I created a System Restore Point first. Probably a totally useless step, but a little bit of paranoia... I mean "caution"... has (almost) always served me well.

Good luck.

Default Re: Adobe Reader No Longer Supports Vista

Thanks for this guide Duggy. I find it interesting that Adobe still supports xp since windows doesn't for the most part. I found myself having trouble because the only printer in my house is attached to an xp computer and the new Microsoft Office won't load on anything less tan 7 (might be vista). I guess come April I will finally be moving my mom over to windows 7.

Blog Entries

Thanks Jer!

Are you able to use the printer on the XP through the network? I had to do some fancy footwork to get this to work some years back when I had the printer hooked up to XP, with the other computers on the network being Vista and Win 7. Surprisingly Vista was more cooperative than Win 7. Go figure. If you need help with this I'd be glad to walk you through it. Or Oz can talk you through it on ventrilo.

Blog Entries

Like Duggy said Jer, Anytime just ask!

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291

Going to check into it today after class. so yes I may be in touch as I may need some help.

Blog Entries

Run WIN 7, vista, and XP all though the same printer on my network. Was not that hard to set it up once I found the different areas I had to go into to set them up. That was the hard part.

I'm looking for some advice, how-to,etc. I put all the computers on the same homegroup but yet the windows 7s don't seem to acknowledge that they are on said homegroup.

Correction, I just tested it and everything seems to be ok. Now I just need to find out if I have ink lol.

Blog Entries

LOL!!!

You come from nothing, You're going back to nothing. So what have you lost? Nothing! So always look on the bright side of life.

http://www.dragonshadowclan.com/portal/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2&dateline=1517329291

Installing Adobe reader XI on windows vista is no problem - if you have got the whole program, and not just the software link or the installation-program, which breaks up while trying installing adobe reader on windows vista. When the "installer" detects the vista platform, then there is something going to be wrong obviously.